I think this is the offending piece. There is a catch all Exception, which
IMHO should understand a recoverable exception from an unrecoverable on.

try {
completedCheckpoint = retrieveCompletedCheckpoint(checkpointStateHandle);
if (completedCheckpoint != null) {
completedCheckpoints.add(completedCheckpoint);
}
} catch (Exception e) {
LOG.warn("Could not retrieve checkpoint. Removing it from the completed " +
"checkpoint store.", e);
// remove the checkpoint with broken state handle
removeBrokenStateHandle(checkpointStateHandle.f1, checkpointStateHandle.f0);
}