1. Correct. Under the hood, evolvability of schema relies on the type's
serializer implementation to support it.
In Flink 1.7, this had been done only for Avro's Flink built-in serializer
(i.e. the AvroSerializer class) for now, so you don't need to provide a
custom serializer for this.
For any other types, that would be required for now; again, how to
implement a custom serializer that works for schema evolution is covered in
the documents.

2. Yes, disabling generic types will let the job fail if any data type is
determined to be serialized by Kryo, let it be for on-wire data
transmission or for state serialization.

I'm currently still traveling because of the recent Flink Forward event;
will send you a copy of the latest slides I presented about the topic once
I get back.

Cheers,
Gordon