Hi Salva,

I think we could have the following options to make Flink application run
on a Kubernetes cluster.

1. Local cluster
This is what you have in mind. Flink now is really like a common java
application, which you could start easily.

2. Standalone cluster on K8s
By applying some yaml files, you could create a Flink application cluster.
Compared with the local mode, you could
have more TaskManagers to get better performance and isolation. Also you
could enable the high-availability mode[2]
to eliminate the SPOF your Flink application.

3. K8s operator
Using K8s operator could make the Flink job submission easier. It could
also help with managing the whole lifecycle of
the Flink application, including upgrading, restarting, etc. Refer GCP
flink-on-k8s-operator[3] for more information.

4. Native Flink on K8s
Flink could also natively interact with K8s cluster if the kube config is
configured correctly. You need to have a local Flink
binary and run a command(e.g. flink run-application ...)[4]. This could
also be done in a K8s pod, which is started with Flink
official image.

[1].
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-master/deployment/resource-providers/standalone/kubernetes.html#deploy-application-cluster
[2]. https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-master/deployment/ha/