I built a minimal war and ran into deployment issues
with both Jetty and Tomcat...

Jetty
-----
In my first attempt I noticed that Jetty was ignoring
the context name I had specified in
META-INF/context.xml and used the name of the war file
instead. Once I figured this out it also appeared that
Jetty was ignoring the welcome file specified in
WEB-INF/web.xml and showing the contents of the war
directory instead. I noticed in the wiki that there is
an additional descriptor, geronimo-jetty.xml, that I
might need to support. I tried this and also
restarting Geronimo with the configId I had set in
geronimo-jetty.xml and neither attempt was helpful.
BTW, something I did must have corrupted the
deployment module because I soon found I could no
longer deploy at all..

Deployment failed
  Server reports: No deployer present in kernel

Tomcat
------
After not getting the simplest web app to deploy
correctly on Jetty and re-assembling a corrupted
Geronimo I gave Tomcat a try. As indicated in the wiki
I removed the comments for the Tomcat configurations
in j2ee-deployer-plan.xml. When I try to startup
Geronimo with the org/apache/geronimo/Tomcat
configuration, I get...

Exception in thread "main"
javax.xml.parsers.FactoryConfigurationError: Provider
org.apache.xerces.jaxp.DocumentBuilderFactoryImpl not
found
        at
javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilderFactory.newInstance(DocumentBuilderFactory.java:99)
        at
org.apache.commons.modeler.util.DomUtil.readXml(DomUtil.java:284)
        at
org.apache.commons.modeler.modules.MbeansDescriptorsDOMSource.execute(MbeansDescriptorsDOMSource.java:130)
        at
org.apache.commons.modeler.modules.MbeansDescriptorsDOMSource.loadDescriptors(MbeansDescriptorsDOMSource.java:120)
        at
org.apache.commons.modeler.Registry.load(Registry.java:819)
        at
org.apache.commons.modeler.Registry.loadDescriptors(Registry.java:931)
        at
org.apache.commons.modeler.Registry.loadDescriptors(Registry.java:909)
        at
org.apache.commons.modeler.Registry.findDescriptor(Registry.java:992)
        at
org.apache.commons.modeler.Registry.findManagedBean(Registry.java:696)
        at
org.apache.commons.modeler.Registry.findManagedBean(Registry.java:1047)
        at
org.apache.commons.modeler.Registry.registerComponent(Registry.java:859)
        at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappLoader.init(WebappLoader.java:573)
        at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappLoader.start(WebappLoader.java:605)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:3985)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1011)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:718)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1011)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:440)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Embedded.start(Embedded.java:789)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.tomcat.TomcatContainer.doStart(TomcatContainer.java:175)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.createInstance(GBeanInstance.java:841)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstanceState.attemptFullStart(GBeanInstanceState.java:331)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstanceState.start(GBeanInstanceState.java:111)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstanceState.startRecursive(GBeanInstanceState.java:133)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.startRecursive(GBeanInstance.java:494)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.kernel.Kernel.startRecursiveGBean(Kernel.java:339)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstanceState.startRecursive(GBeanInstanceState.java:141)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.startRecursive(GBeanInstance.java:494)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.kernel.Kernel.startRecursiveGBean(Kernel.java:339)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.system.main.Daemon.main(Daemon.java:185)

The wiki indicated that v5.5.4 of Tomcat was embedded
but JIRA indicates that this was upgraded to v5.5.7. I
am developing on Mac OS X with JDK 1.4.2 which
requires some additional jars to be added to Tomcat
5.5.7 (see binary downloads available for 5.5.7). I am
thinking that this is the source of the exception
above.  However, since Geronimo does not appear to be
preserving the typical packaging of Tomcat it is not
clear to me where these jars should go.

I am planning on integrating Apache Pluto with
Geronimo and since I do not have any information on
how compatible Pluto is with Jetty I think my best bet
is to work on getting the Tomcat issues solved. I'd
appreciate any suggestions on getting there from here.