From: Olivier Voutat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Feb 17, 2006 8:42 AM
Subject: Re: Using Firebird through Jaybird in a JEE application in Geronimo
To: user@geronimo.apache.org

Hi again,

For those who doesn't know, I'm trying to establish a connection between my J2EE application and Firebird Database using Jaybird-2.0.1JDK_1.5.zip
http://firebird.sourceforge.net/index.php?op=files&id=jaybird

(yeah,yeah, I know that Geronimo is only certified for J2EE 1.4 but so far it hasn't be a big issue).

Extra information: The application that I'm testing already worked under Geronimo using a connection to Firebird through unixODBC without a database pool.

Thanks everybody who replied. Didn't understand very well your .rar issue David, but anyway here is my situation:

I wasn't trying to create a database pool to do a connection (it is really necessary ?).
I was trying to make the jaybird-full-2.0.1.jar avaliable to my J2EE.

Current situation, I created a database pool connection with the Database Type "Other".
In the next config page I put:

JDBC Driver Class: org.firebirdsql.jdbc.FBDriver
Driver JAR: jaybird-full-2.0.1.jar (deployed in the repository trough the common libraries page)
JDBC Connect URL: jdbc:firebirdsql:localhost/3050:/firebirdData/mydatabase.fdb
DB User Name: *******
DB Password: *******

After that I did a "Test Connection"
and no problem alert was given so I deployed it.

Deployed my application and it stills gives me the message ClassNotFoundException...

Olivier Voutat

On 2/17/06, David Jencks <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:

On Feb 16, 2006, at 6:22 PM, Olivier Voutat wrote:

> I'm not getting how to install the driver to make this one
> avaliable to my applications in Geronimo. Tried many ways, and
> can't find a way that makes it works. Didn't find any documents
> about it neither.
>
> Can somebody help me about it ?

I tried deploying the latest rar from the downloads, but it has a
problem in ra.xml (see firebird issue 1433327).  I fixed the problem
in firebird cvs, so if you build the rar yourself it will work.
(I'll also send you a copy privately).  If you want to use something
closer to the current release, you need to change in ra.xml

       <credential-
interface>javax.resource.security.PasswordCredential</credential-
interface>
       <credential-
interface>javax.resource.spi.security.PasswordCredential</credential-
interface>

and repack the rar.

Anyway, after obtaining a correct rar, you can modify the plan I will
also send privately to suit your environment and deploy to a running
server using

java -jar target/geronimo- 1.1-SNAPSHOT/bin/deployer.jar --user system
--password manager deploy jaybird-2.1.0.rar jaybird-plan.xml

This deployed OK for me but I don't have a firebird installation
handy so I don't know if there are other problems.  Please let me
know of your progress, I would like there to be a wiki page on using
firebird/jaybird with Geronimo.

If anyone else would like a copy of the plan I can perhaps get
started on the wiki page and attach it there.

--
Olivier & Cidiane Voutat
Rua Praia de Muriú, 9188