I opened https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/AMQ-1254 to deal with a similar problem for org.apache.activemq.kaha.impl.KahaStore. I'll try to scrape together some time to add to the patch for this property also.

I think we can set the property you've located in a geronimo SystemProperties gbean, there's one called ServerSystemProperties in j2ee-server. It would be great if you can open a geronimo jira for this problem and even better if you could test out using the ServerSystemProperties gbean to fix it.