Hi!

I had the very same problem with G2.0.0, currently I'm using G2.1 and
to tell the truth I don't know whether this issue still exists because
I use a very simple work around that works always and for my case is
sufficient.

Simply in WAR create a new class, implement the ServletContextListener
interface and override contextInitialized method like this:

public void contextInitialized(ServletContextEvent ctx) {
                String prefix = ctx.getServletContext().getRealPath("/");
                String file =
ctx.getServletContext().getInitParameter("log4j-configuration-file");
                if (file != null) {
                        DOMConfigurator.configure(prefix + "WEB-INF/" + file);
                }
        }

it works in G2.0.0 and G2.1

If You manage to use Log4j without this workaround, let me know please ;)

best regards
Łukasz