On Jun 9, 2008, at 1:43 AM, Phani Madgula wrote:

Hi,
I have tried to play with <jta-datasource> and <non-jta-datasource> as follows.

I have the following peristence.xml in a web application.
[...]

<persistence-unit name="Tutorial" transaction- type="RESOURCE_LOCAL">
[...]

In the servlet, I have the following code
[...]

@PersistenceContext(unitName="Tutorial")
  private EntityManager em;
                UserTransaction ut;
                try{
                        Context ctx = new InitialContext();

                        //ut =
(UserTransaction)ctx.lookup("java:comp/UserTransaction");
                        //ut.begin();

//Uncomment EntityTransaction
                        EntityTransaction et = em.getTransaction();
                        et.begin();

Book book = new Book("DDDDD","John", 1.0,"Joe","1934834-23823","Phani");
                        em.persist(book);

                        et.commit();
                        //ut.commit();

                }catch(Exception e){
                        e.printStackTrace();
                        throw new ServletException (e);
                }
 ***********************
 I get the following error
 ***********************

 java.lang.IllegalStateException : You can not call getTransaction on
a container managed EntityManager

[...]

Please note that I am using "RESOURCE_LOCAL" persistence unit.

You're in the right direction. Try modifying this part of your servlet as follows:

[cut this part]
@PersistenceContext(unitName="Tutorial")
private EntityManager em;

[redo as]
@PersistenceUnit(unitName="Tutorial")
private EntityManagerFactory emf;

The use of RESOURCE_LOCAL definitely requires you to use the EntityTransaction API as you were attempting to do. It also requires you to use the EntityManagerFactory to get your EntityManager. The implication of the RESOURCE_LOCAL is that the EntityManager instance you create from the factory *is* the entire persistence context, cache and all (EntityManger instance == PersistenceContext, terminology wise). For illustrative purposes it's safe to imagine big "cache" hashmap as a field inside the EntityManager instance you created. It's not entirely how most providers do it, but the technical ramifications are the same. One of the ramifications is that if you want someone else to do persistent operations with the same persistence context you need to find a way to get them the EntityManager instance you created. From a spec perspective we (EJB 3.0 spec hat on) could have allowed you to reference a RESOURCE_LOCAL unit via an EntityManager reference, but the trick is that each reference would wind up creating a new EntityManager instance, cache and all, and you could make a really big mess; seemed better to just force you to create the instance yourself and share it however you feel best so that there could be no misunderstandings.

With a TRANSACTION unit you are in fact required to lookup or have injected the EntityManager and are not allowed to use the EntityManagerFactory or the EntityTransaction API. As a vendor what we do underneath the covers is give you an EntityManager wrapper that points to nothing. Then when a transaction is started (via UserTransaction or a container transaction) we use the EntityManagerFactory to create an EntityManager instance and make all the wrappers point to it. When the transaction commits, the internal EntityManager instance is discarded (cache goes bye-bye) and wrappers again point to nothing. This is essentially why you need a transaction in progress to use a EntityManager with JTA scope and TRANSACTION unit. With an EXTENDED PersistenceContext (again, available only with a TRANSACTION unit) things work pretty much the same except that the internal EntityManager instance is *not* discarded and the end of transactions (cache stays in memory and can be used again in another transaction), instead it lives as long as the Stateful session bean holding it.

My questions are

1. Should we always use UserTransaction object irrespective of
<jta-datasource> or <non-jta-datasource> in JEE environment??

2. How is the use of <non-jta-datsource> different from the use
<jta-datasource> in JEE environment??

3. In EJBs, when ContainerManaged Transactions are used, there is no
need to use JTA. Is that correct??

4. Only in J2SE environments, we can use EntityTransaction object. is
that correct??

Hopefully the above explanation answers these questions (good questions, BTW). If anything is still unclear, definitely don't hesitate to ask for more information or for something to be simply reworded (can be hard trying to find the right way to explain these things).

-David