Thanks for providing useful. Now the intricacies are becoming clear indeed
!!
I am trying to guess what could/should be the outcome of the following
scenario.

***************
   @PersistenceUnit(unitName="AccountUnit")
   EntityManagerFactory emf;

[..]
    private void method1(int accountNumber, PrintWriter out)
    throws Exception{

        try{
            EntityManager em = emf.createEntityManager();

            Context ctx = new InitialContext();
            UserTransaction ut =
(UserTransaction)ctx.lookup("java:comp/UserTransaction");

            ut.begin();

            em.joinTransaction();

            Account account = em.find(Account.class, accountNumber);

            account.setBalance(5000);

            method2(accountNumber,out);

            *account.setBalance(7000); (this update is missing in the table)
*

            ut.commit();

        }catch(Exception e){
            throw e;
        }
}

    private void method2(int accountNumber, PrintWriter out)throws Exception
{

        try{
            EntityManager em = emf.createEntityManager();

            em.joinTransaction();

            Account account = em.find(Account.class, accountNumber);

            account.setBalance(6000);

        }catch(Exception e){
            throw e;
        }

    }

What I observed from the above code is *account.setBalance(7000); (this
update is missing in the table). The value of balance column will be 6000.
The last update in the method (to 7000) misses.

Thanks
Phani
*