I had a lot of trouble with the plans in the "plans" directory and instead came up with the plugins which I think work against geronimo trunk. After you build the plugins you can fish the plans out of the target/resources/META-INF directories, modifiy them if you want to run against e.g. 2.1.1, and deploy with them. I no longer think its a good idea to include the database and activemq configuration directly in the ear.