On Jul 7, 2008, at 3:04 PM, Jacek Laskowski wrote:

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 11:46 PM, David Jencks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I no longer think its a good idea
to include the database and activemq configuration directly in the ear.

Why is so? Could you elaborate? I've been a great fan of using bundled
plan from the very first day of its inception. Is it because an admin
may not notice them and his/her server becomes out of his/her control?

What I think is current geronimo best practice for developing a production ee application would be a development "pipeline" something like this:

- development stage outputs the application as one or more plugins, together with supporting db, mq, mail, etc plugins for the other stages, and assembles these plugins into custom servers - qa gets a server that has the same application plugins as production will get, but with modified db/mq/ other "connector" plugins to fit into the test environment. These are swapped for the production "connector" plugins using artifact aliases. - production gets a server that has the same application plugins as qa got but with connector plugins that attach to the production db, mq broker, etc etc.

I think this minimizes the chance of unexpected differences between qa and production environments. If you put the connector configuration in the main app plan, you either have to modify the plan between qa and production or be restricted to what you can change using config- substitutions.propertes.

Also, if you have a "family" of applications, most likely they will be using the same connections to the environment so it would make sense to put those connections in separate plugins rather than one particular application.

If your goal is to provide a sample that has only one artifact, rather than pointing out (what I think are) best practices, then putting everything in one plan definitely makes sense. I no longer think that is very important now that the plugins work fairly well. Or, I'd say the appropriate artifact now is a custom server with the application pre-deployed.

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski