On Oct 13, 2008, at 9:50 AM, Juan David wrote:

Hi All

I have a problem to set up a framework application on Geronimo. I need a
Servlet to be started when the web container is starting.

As I previously did this configuration on Tomcat y try to add the Servlet definition on installDir\var\catalina\conf\web.xml and it loads the Servlet the problem is that the servlet has dependency classes and does not found
them on runtime. I try to add the jar containing the classes to
installDir\var\shared\lib and did not work.

What is the right way to accomplish this?

Is there a default application like in OAS or Tomcat?
Do I have to add my own module to Geronimo (If so can you give me some
directions?)
The stack trace says that the class can not be found on Tomcat6/2.0.1/car do I have to add the dependence on that module for the dependent jars? (how can
I do that?)

Module 14/37 org.apache.geronimo.configs/tomcat6/2.0.1/car
13:59:43,750 ERROR [Digester] End event threw exception

….
Caused by:
java.lang.RuntimeException:
suramericana.swb.environment.InitContainerProperties in classloader
org.apache.geronimo.configs/tomcat6/2.0.1/car
        at
org .apache .geronimo .tomcat .GeronimoStandardContext.addChild(GeronimoStandardContext.java:267)
        ... 71 more
Caused by:
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
suramericana.swb.environment.InitContainerProperties in classloader
org.apache.geronimo.configs/tomcat6/2.0.1/car

What exactly are you trying to accomplish with this servlet? There may be a better way to do this in geronimo.

I can't keep track of how tomcat starts. There might be a default application with a configuration under var/tomcat.

If this default application actually exists and you decide adding your servlet to it is the best way to proceed then the most controllable way to proceed is to build a replacement tomcat plugin that includes your jar as an additional dependency. You should upgrade to g. 2.1.3 and copy the source plugins/tomcat/tomcat6 module, alter the artifactId, include your jar as a maven dependency, and add an artifact-alias so your tomcat assembly will replace the normal one.

If you need some code to execute before your actual apps start you could write a gbean to execute the code and deploy it in a plugin that depends on the tomcat plugin. If your apps depend on this service plugin it is sure to get started before the apps.

If you need this code to execute before any connectors start you might be able to include it in one of the apps and use the techniques shown in the app-per-port sample to start the connectors after your app.

Thanks in advance

JuanDa