I'm confused about which vm you are trying to use the amq jndi in. You should be putting the jndi.properties file in the classpath of your non-ee client application. I would not advise trying to use the amq properties based jndi inside geronimo.

java.naming.provider.url = vm://localhost

means that you are trying to connect to a broker in the same vm (in-vm transport)

For a broker running in geronimo you want something like
java.naming.provider.url = tcp://hostname:61616

hope this helps
david jencks