The only thing that comes to mind so far is that ejb cmp 2.1 entity beans have been completely rewritten to use jpa rather than tranql. There were some reports early on that in some situations this was a lot slower, but I think that in other situations it was faster. Are you using cmp 2.1 entity beans?