Could you outline your goal a little more from a higher level viewpoint?

If you are trying to produce a consistent reproducible server image with known contents through your build system I recommend assembling a custom server using maven.

If you are trying to install plugins to an existing server using scripts I recommend gshell.

If you are building plugins using maven (highly recommended) I recommend sonatype nexus as a remote plugin repository. You can easily set up a company-wide nexus instance and arrange for maven to deploy your plugins into it.

IIRC in trunk the geronimo-maven-plugin can also be used to install plugins into a running geronimo server. I don't recall if this made it into the 2.1.x series.