Well, let's try the scenario about how to set up a remote respository step
by step.

1. Set up a http server and expose the repository:  assume you have a
server(ip address:9.181.10.11) running http service which can be accessed
via http:\\9.181.10.11, and the plugins repository is on the server under
/tmp/plugins directory. Then update <HTTPServer_HOME>/conf/http.conf by
adding the following blocks after you stopped httpd daemon:

Alias/plugins "/tmp/plugins"
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
AllowOveride None
Order allow, deny
Allow from all

Save and exit.  Restart httpd daemon.

2. Copy geronimo-plugins.xml and relevant plugins into /tmp/plugins(You may
try Geronimo sample plugins for this test).
3. From another server running Geronimo, go to admin console and add a
remote repository named "http:\\9.181.10.11\plugins". Then click Show
plugins in the repository you will see all the plugins ready for download.

The real challenge would be how you manage numbers of plugins and make sure
each time users get the most updated ones, how to automate the whole update
process from server side. Export applications from Admin console mannually
works but for a great number of plugins, I'd pefer car-maven-plugin just as
David Jencks mentioned.

Hope this could answer your questions. Anything else, please let us know.

Jeff Chi