Hey,

Are you referring to the connector framework of Tomcat? Frankly I
don't see how you can't do what you want with Geronimo+Tomcat.

I once developed an HTTP load balancer, and used Tomcat as the base.
It was very easy to link into any stage of the HTTP connection, from
the raw packets down to a Servlet instance back up to the raw
transmission of the response.

If you need any help on this, I should be able to help. I can even
send you some sample code if you get stuck with specifics.

The general idea was this:
1. I kept tomcat in tact. I did everything by adding a JAR file to
tomcat's lib directory.
2. I loaded my engine/connectors through server.xml configuration. I'm
not sure where this is in Geronimo. They might have their own classes
which generates the config responses programmatically. So I can't tell
you how you would load your own engine/connectors.
3. I implemented my own Service extends StandardService (You need to
override most of it's methods due to visibility problems - or
implement your own. A simple copy paste is a bit of code reuse, but it
achieves the purpose).
4. Implemented my own Engine extends StandardEngine
5. Used the standard Http11NioProtocol connector.

>From the above I was able to build a very complex load balancer. So
you don't need to write your own. Benefit from Tomcat's stability and
superior performance under high loads - something that will take you
long to do.

Anyway. Before you start modifying source code. What type of requests
do you want to handle?