The JAR entries have to be created, as we don't supply default alias
entries for those.  Just stop the server, add the alias entry and jar to
the repo, then restart.  If you are using the app client container, then
you'll also have to add it to -
  var/config/client_artifact_aliases.properties

Don't update the CAR entries unless you are replacing those system-level
plugins with ones you have rebuilt.  For example, to upgrade to
OpenJPA-2.0.0-beta, I created a plugin that deploys new integration
modules along with the openjpa jars -
http://geronimo.apache.org/2010/02/27/jpa-20-available-for-213-and-later-server-users.html

-Donald