You don't need tomcat installed to work with Geronimo. The Geronimo App
Server comes bundled with Tomcat (or Jetty, yes you have to flavours to
choose) as servlet container. I'm pretty sure the Tomcat version bundled
with G2.2 is v6, but some of the G gurus on the list might better answer
that.
Tomcat != Geronimo, Tomcat is a servelet container, means implements servlet
specification, Geronimo is an App Server, means implements the full J2EE
spec, more precisely Geronimo 2.2 implements J2EE 5 (Geronimo 3 will
implement J2EE 6).

Regarding 3.0, it's still not out but you can download and build the
snapshot version from SVN, thought not all of the J2EE specs are totally
implemented.

HTH
Luciano