Confirmed with my friend. It will fail to load your own log property file
if you don't adding <hidden-classes> or <import-package> into your
geronimo-web.xml.
The rule is one log4j with one property file. So if you decide to use your
own log property file, you must have one copy of log4j in your application.
There is the other solution for you concern. It is to use the server's
log4j copy, and add you log setting into
<geronimo-home>\var\log\server-log4j.properties. You can distinguish you
log setting with the server's one by package level appender. For example,
If your application name is testA, and the source package is com.XXX.testA.

log4j.logger.com.XXX.testA=INFO, testA

log4j.appender.testA=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.testA.File=c:\logs\testA.log
log4j.appender.testA.Threshold=TRACE
log4j.appender.testA.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.testA.layout.ConversionPattern=[%d]-%-5p (%F:%L)|%m%n
log4j.appender.testA.DatePattern='.'yyyy-MM-dd