You cannot run the vertex class directly. Instead you can use GiraphRunner, e.g.

hadoop jar giraph-jar-with-dependencies.jar
org.apache.giraph.GiraphRunner
org.apache.giraph.examples.ConnectedComponentsVertex --inputFormat
org.apache.giraph.examples.IntIntNullIntTextInputFormat --inputPath
hdfs:///path/to/input --outputFormat
org.apache.giraph.examples.VertexWithComponentTextOutputFormat
--outputPath hdfs:///path/to/output --workers numWorkers --combiner
org.apache.giraph.examples.MinimumIntCombiner

--sebastian