You are right the docs situation is shameful, and I am as much to blame as
anyone! There are some serious documentation efforts in the works, stay
tuned. For now, running the benchmarks has a different CLI syntax than
running applications or examples.

Check out GiraphRunner for apps/examples and check out the benchmark driver
classes themselves to see how they are launched (directly from "hadoop jar"
without o.a.g.GiraphRunner as the main class) -- they also have their own
CLI option conventions. Most have help msgs. embedded as well. So that
probably hasn't helped ;)