Thanks for the reply.

I tried setting giraph.maxPartitionsInMemory to 1, but I'm still
getting OOM: GC limit exceeded.

Are there any particular cases the OOC will not be able to handle, or
is it supposed to work in all cases? If the latter, it might be that I
have made some configuration error.

I do have one concern that might indicateI have done something wrong:
to allow OOC to activate without crashing I had to modify the trunk
code. This was because Giraph relied on guava-12 and
DiskBackedPartitionStore used hasInt() - a method which does not exist
in guava-11 which hadoop 2 depends on. At runtime guava 11 was being
used

I suppose this problem might indicate I'm running submitting the job
using the wrong binary. Currently I am including the giraph
dependencies with the jar, and running using hadoop jar.

--
Alexander Asplund