Hi Wei,

it depends on what you mean by workload for a batch processing system. I
believe we can split the problem in two: generating a realistic graph, and
using "representative" algorithms.

To generate graphs we have two options in giraph:

1) random graph: you specify the number of vertices and the number of edges
for each vertex, and the edges will connect two random vertices. This
creates a graph with (i) low clustering coefficient, (ii) low average path
length, (ii) a uniform degree distribution

2) watts strogatz: you specify the number of vertices, the number of edges,
and a rewire probability beta. giraph will generate a ring lattice (each
vertex is connected to k preceeding vertices and k following vertices) and
rewire some of the edges randomly. This will create a graph with (i) high
clustering coefficient, (ii) low average path length, (iii) poisson-like
degree distribution (depends on beta). This graph will resemble a small
world graph such as a social network, except for the degree distribution
which will not a power law.

To use representative algorithms you can choose:

1) PageRank: it's a ranking algorithm where all the vertices are active and
send messages along the edges at each superstep (hence you'll have O(V)
active vertices and O(E) messages)

2) Shortest Paths: starting from a random vertex you'll visit al the
vertices in the graph (some multiple times). This will have an aggregate
O(V) active vertices and O(E) messages, but this is only a lower bound. In
general you'l have different areas of the graph explored at each superstep,
and hence potentially a varying workload across different supersteps.

3) Connected Components: this will have something opposite to (2) as it
will have many active vertices at the beginning, where the detection is
refined towards the end.

Hope this helps,
Claudio

--