Hi,
You can look at the Facebook Link Prediction Challenge on Kaggle where you
have to suggest links in a social Network.
The link for the forum for the contest is:
http://www.kaggle.com/c/FacebookRecruiting/forums
It has a lot of interesting approaches. One of them can be found at the
link below:
http://blog.echen.me/2012/07/31/edge-prediction-in-a-social-graph-my-solution-to-facebooks-user-recommendation-contest-on-kaggle/

I am currently looking at a paper : Supervised Random Walks for Predicting
Links in social networks.
http://cs.stanford.edu/people/jure/pubs/linkpred-wsdm11.pdf

I don't know If I can implement it in giraph. I will read the paper
completely and try to. Will keep you posted.
Thanks,
Ameya