On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 4:50 PM, Toshio ITO <toshio9....@toshiba.co.jp> wrote:
> Hi Roman,
>
> I previously reported some cases where Giraph unit tests failed.
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/giraph-user/201406.mbox/%3c87a990dkni.wl%25toshio9....@toshiba.co.jp%3E

This thread talks about hadoop_0.20.203 profile. I am not sure
this version of Hadoop gets a lot of attention in Giraph community.
Personally, I'd definitely not treat any failures in that profile
as release blockers.

> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/giraph-user/201407.mbox/%3C8761jgqjec.wl%25toshio9.ito%40toshiba.co.jp%3E

This one is more interesting. I can't reproduce your
failures in Rexster I/O Format in my environment.

As for -Dprop.mapred.job.tracker=localhost:54311 -- I've
never seen anybody running Giraph unit tests that way.

You're right that in theory it should work and it would be
useful for us to understand why it fails. I may be able to
look at it, but since it happens to be a pretty non-orthodox
way of running Unit test, I don't think it'll be a release
blocker all by itself.

> Because it seems I'm almost the only one in the user mailing list
> who cares about the unit tests

I think all of us do, but the thing is -- we run them as pure
unit tests -- you run then as combination of unit/system
tests. If you can make them work both ways that would
be appreciated regardless of whether your fixes end
up in 1.1.0 or not.

> I just wonder whether it is normal (or expected) for the unit tests
> to fail at this stage of development (release-1.1.0-RC0).

Pure unit tests are definitely expected to pass. They do pass
on our Jenkins, hence my suspicion that something's is
wrong with your env.

Thanks,
Roman.