Stab in the dark:

With so many tests, I'm wondering if the volume of output from the tests is
filling some internal buffers in the gradle daemon. Swap starts to happen
and perhaps some massive GC as well. I've been disabling tests as they
*appear* to cause the daemon spike but, no matter which test I disable, the
spike continues.

Any ideas what else might be triggering this? We're committed to the move
from Ant to Gradle and we want to make this work.