Russel, I know that when I use git I get issues with the gradlew.bat.
That's because I have "git config --global core.safecrlf true", and only
when I'm checking in the gradlew.bat file I set "git config --global
core.safecrlf false", then immediately set it back. I can't definitely say
that this is correct, but it's saved me from modifying Windows files. That
other culprit is autocrlf which can be set to false when adding .bat files,
and then back to input or auto when done.

What does your "git config --list" look like? Does it have the default
values for safecrlf and autocrlf?