Thanks Im trying that 1 change now "127.0.0.1" instead of"localhost" in
the nginx config,
proxy_pass http://127.0.0.1:8080/guacamole/;

come to think of it, this did seem like a resolution thing and I bet if
you check your

/etc/hosts
 file you will see localhost also in the IP6 section, which is odd since I
dont use IP6  . but it must have been there on default install.  So, its
probably internally resolving to the random ip it finds first.   (UBUNTU).

127.0.0.1       localhost
127.0.1.1       myhostnameHERE

::1     localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

so far it looks to be working. last few tests only show ip4 .

/danielm