Thanks for the detailed response.

I was aware of the Development Tools group but for my install script I am
trying to install the bare minimum needed. I will admit, figuring out what
the minimum is may be more trouble than its worth, but its a matter of
principal/pride/(maybe stupidity) on my part.

Good info about libjpeg-turbo, maybe I will move away from using the LJT
repo and just get the LJT-devel from the OS repo. Should simplify the
script/setup a bit and does not sound like there would be anything to lose.
However, you mention ldd to verify whats used to build against, could you
elaborate as I am not familiar with the command. Wouldnt hurt to verify that
LJT 2.x isnt being used to build against before removing it.

As for RH, I would have agreed 6 months ago. However you hit the nail on the
head with my thoughts behind the "why?". I-B-M. People flipped out when they
bought up RH and then took 1 of 2 sides...

A) Its the end of the world/IBM sucks/destroys everything they touch
B) The other side is over reacting nothing will change for the worse.

As I read release notes for 8.x and even 7.8 I am seeing IBM's hand in
things and its giving me that feeling you get when you know something is off
but hasn't crossed a line yet.

While your point is certainly valid about them having open source
alternatives, in most cases those alternatives are readily available. The
real concern in this case is they have removed a free, open source, widely
used competitor (tomcat) to their paid product and then do not even include
the open source version of that product in their own default repos (IE:
could not find wildfly in the CentOS repos). In the case of CentOS this
essentially leaves no "easy" option from the repos.

Beyond just tomcat, they seem to be shifting away from
(remove/deprecating/etc) many things that appear to be motivated by IBM in
the background vs legitimate business needs (which as you point out they
have in the past struck a good/fair balance of) and whats best for users
(aka customers for RHEL).

Its hard to pinpoint it all, but after reading over release notes for 8.x's
and 7.8, especially the deprecated and bugs parts...it does not inspire
confidence.

In any case, plan to stick to tomcat as long as its possible to. Just ashame
that RH cant be bothered to include it in the repos. Hell, I would even
settle for EPEL having it.

--
Sent from: