So I thought I'd try compiling freerdp from source and have another go.

Unfortunately it still won't work as is - this time I suspect 'cos it compiles as freerdp3 and guacamole:

    libfreerdp-client3.so.3 -> libfreerdp-client3.so.3.0.0
    libfreerdp3.so.3 -> libfreerdp3.so.3.0.0

There is a Jira ticket out for this already (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GUACAMOLE-1026), so I expect it will be sorted in time.