Robert.,

I can't comment on packaging, or some other aspects of your post, but in terms of installing Guacamole I admit to being slightly confused.

You mention Debian in the post title, the current stable version being 10.4 (buster) but then go on to talk about (presumably) Ubuntu 18.04, then 20.04?

Assuming you're actually deploying your Guacamole in Ubuntu 20.04 (or at least want to) then this post may be of some use:

Note I use Guacamole 1.1.0, not 1.2.0, which isn't yet released.

HTH, cheers.