Is this just a general question, or are you wanting to upgrade from a specific version of Guacamole to another specific version? I ask because some version upgrades have specific requirements, others are more straightforward.

Upgrades usually work fine, however I have tended to create a new VM, installed the latest version of Guacamole, and imported the working database from the previous VM. This allows a clean installation (often with upgraded OS), and instant fallback available to the previous VM in the event of any issues.