David,

With respect to the error you're seeing, these links should give you some assistance (you probably only need to look at one, they mostly reiterate the same thing):

https://lists.apache.org/thread/64x199p7kj6j1ct36z0hzgqy6l0x5yzx

https://lists.apache.org/list?user@guacamole.apache.org:2022-8:freerdp%20home%20directory

https://lists.apache.org/list?user@guacamole.apache.org:2022-10:freerdp%20home%20directory

As for my set of notes; the installation was indeed carried out as root, but before going too far with further suggestions perhaps you could respond back after dealing with your user/directory parms etc?