From: Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2023 5:46 PM
To: user@guacamole.apache.org
Subject: Re: Reg: Guacamole with AWS RDS database in multiple region

Caution: This is an external email. Verify any links or attachments before
opening.

On Tue, Jun 20, 2023 at 5:36 AM Rao, Amit <amit....@verint.com.invalid> wrote:

> Hi ,
>

> We are trying to implement multiple instances of Guac (deployed as AWS ECS
> Cluster (Container)) in different region .
>

> Issue is when I create a Read Replica of RDS MY SQL database to other
> region and spin a new instance of Guacamole in that region I get below
> error
>

> Guacamole container error :
>

> ### The error may involve
> org.apache.guacamole.auth.jdbc.user.UserRecordMapper.insert-Inline
>
> ### The error occurred while setting parameters
>
> ### SQL: INSERT INTO guacamole_user_history (             remote_host,
>      user_id,             username,             start_date,
> end_date         )         VALUES (             ?,             (SELECT
> user_id FROM guacamole_user              JOIN guacamole_entity ON
> guacamole_user.entity_id = guacamole_entity.entity_id              WHERE
>               guacamole_entity.name = ?                AND
> guacamole_entity.type = 'USER'),             ?,             ?,             ?
>        )
>
> ### Cause: java.sql.SQLException: The MySQL server is running with the
> --read-only option so it cannot execute this statement
>

> Question :
>
> Is there a way we can have stop updating table guacamole_user_history , so
> that we don’t update read only database ?

No, there is no way to disable this functionality without modifying the code.

I haven't done much with RDS MySQL, but, IIRC, there's a way (maybe on Aurora
MySQL) to redirect writes to the master DB? You might try this, instead - I
think it would still give you the read replicas you;'re looking for, but also
allow writes to happen as expected.

This electronic message may contain proprietary and confidential information of
Verint Systems Inc., its affiliates and/or subsidiaries. The information is
intended to be for the use of the individual(s) or entity(ies) named above. If
you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive this e-mail for
the intended recipient), you may not use, copy, disclose or distribute to
anyone this message or any information contained in this message. If you have
received this electronic message in error, please notify us by replying to this
e-mail.