On Thu, Jan 18, 2024 at 2:20 PM Barnhart, Steven <barnhart....@osu.edu>
wrote:

> Hi there,
>

> We have some use cases where (unfortunatelty) users are reviewing videos
> from a remote machine and using Guacamole to connect. The viewing of videos
> is where the problem lies. A 720p sample video viewed through Guacamole is
> very laggy and the audio pops in/out. It is not reliable. During video
> playback, all other mouse movements or commands are delayed on the server
> as well. I see on the server side when viewing a video that a guacd process
> spikes to 80-100%. We are also using Docker.
>

>    1. I assume Guacamole encodes the rdp and sends it as video in some
>    way? Is there a way to use hardware accelertation such as intel
>    vaapi/quicksync for this process and could it maybe help?

Not as video, as images. The Guacamole software/protocol does some
calculations to try to choose the best image format possible, but
video/visual data is transferred as images.

I do not know of any hardware acceleration that is currently supported. The
one thing that might help is support for GFX over RDP, which is in the
master branch and should be released in the 1.6.0 release, whenever that
happens (later this year).

>    1.
>    2. Is it believed Docker vs native would have any real difference in
>    playing and streaming a video from an RDP session?

I doubt this would make a difference.