Yes, if there are missing blocks (i.e. all replicas lost), and the
block availability threshold is set to its default of 0.999f (99.9%
availability required), then NN will not come out of safemode
automatically. You can control this behavior by configuring
dfs.namenode.safemode.threshold.

--
Harsh J