Thanks for the prompt reply and I'm sorry I forgot to include the exception. My
bad. I've included it below. There certainly appears to be a server running on
localhost:9001. At least, I was able to telnet to that address. While in
development, I'm treating the server on localhost as the remote server. Moving
to production, there'd obviously be a different remote server address
configured.

Root Exception stack trace:
java.io.EOFException
        at java.io.DataInputStream.readInt(DataInputStream.java:375)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Client$Connection.receiveResponse(Client.java:501)
        at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Client$Connection.run(Client.java:446)
    + 3 more (set debug level logging or '-Dmule.verbose.exceptions=true' for
everything)