byte array comparison is for performance reasons only, but NOT the way you
are thinking.
This method comes from an interface called RawComparator which provides the
prototype (public int compare(byte[] b1, int s1, int l1, byte[] b2, int s2,
int l2);) for this method.
In the sorting phase where the keys are sorted, because of this
implementation the records are read from the stream directly and sorted
without the need to deserializing them into Objects.

Best,
Mahesh Balija,
CalsoftLabs.