From: "Hemanth Yamijala" <yhema...@thoughtworks.com>
To: user@hadoop.apache.org
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2013 8:51:04 AM
Subject: Re: Hadoop efficient resource isolation

Supporting a multiuser scenario like this is always hard under Hadoop. There
are a few configuration knobs that offer some administrative control and
protection.

Specifically for the problem you describe, you could probably set
Mapreduce.{map|reduce}.child.ulimit on the tasktrackers, so that any job that
is exceeding these limits will be killed. Of course, a side effect of this
would be that jobs would be bound by some limits even if they legitimately
require more memory.

But you could try starting with this.

Thanks
Hemanth