That won't stop a bad job (say a fork bomb or a massive memory leak in a
streaming script) from taking out a node which is what I believe Dhanasekaran
was asking about. He wants to physically isolate certain lobs to certain "non
critical" nodes. I don't believe this is possible and data would be spread to
those nodes, assuming they're data nodes, which would still cause cluster wide
issues (and if data is isolate why not have two separate clusters?),

I've read references in the docs about some type of memory based contrains in
Hadoop but I don't know of the details. Anyone know how they work?

Also, I believe there are tools in Linux that can kill processes in case of
memory issues and otherwise restrict what a certain user can do. These seem
like a more flexible solution although they won't cover all potential issues.

-Marcin

On Feb 25, 2013, at 7:20 PM, "Arun C Murthy"