+1

My $0.02 is look look around and see problems u can solve…Its better to get a
list of problems and see if u can model a solution using map-reduce framework

An example is as follows

PROBLEM
Build a Cars Pricing Model based on advertisements on Craigs list

OBJECTIVE
Recommend a price to the Craigslist car seller when the user gives info about
make,model,color,miles

DATA required
Collect RSS feeds daily from Craigs List (don't pound their website , else they
will lock u down)

DESIGN COMPONENTS
- Daily RSS Collector - pulls data and puts into HDFS
- Data Loader - Structures the columns u need to analyze and puts into HDFS
- Hive Aggregator and analyzer - studies and queries data and brings out
recommendation models for car pricing
- REST Web service to return query results in XML/JSON
- iPhone App that talks to web service and gets info

There u go…this should keep a couple of students busy for 3 months

I find this kind of problem statement and solutions simpler to understand
because its all there in the real world !

An example of my way of thinking led to me founding this non profit called
www.medicalsidefx.org that gives users valuable metrics regarding medical side
fx.
It uses Hadoop to aggregate , Lucene to search….This year I am redesigning the
core to use Hive :-)

Good luck

Sanjay