I'll be chastised and have mean things said about me for this.

Get some experience in IT before you start looking at Hadoop.  My reasoning
is this:  If you don't know how to develop real applications in a
Non-Hadoop world, you'll struggle a lot to develop with Hadoop.

Asking what "things you need to know in compulsory" is like saying you want
to "learn computers" -- totally worthless!  Find a problem to solve and
seek to learn the tools you need to solve your problem.  Otherwise, your
learning is un-applied and somewhat useless.

Picture a recent acting school graduate how to direct the next Star Wars
movie.  It's almost like that.