 From: Sanjay Subramanian <sanjay.subraman...@wizecommerce.com>
To: "user@hadoop.apache.org" <user@hadoop.apache.org>; "ch...@embree.us"
<ch...@embree.us>
Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2013 11:03 PM
Subject: Re: Where to begin from??

I agree with Chris…don't worry about what the technology is called Hadoop , Big
table, Lucene, Hive….Model the problem and see what the solution could
be….that’s very important

And Lokesh please don't mind…we are writing to u perhaps stuff that u don't
want to hear but its an important real perspective

To illustrate what I mean let me give u a few problems to think about and see
how u would solve them….

1. Before Microsoft took over Skype at least this feature used to be there and
the feature is like this……u type the name of a person and it used to come back
with some search results in milliseconds often searching close to a billion
names…….How would u design such a search architecture ?

2.  In 2012, say 50 million users (cookie based) searched Macys.com on a SALES
weekend and say 20,000 bought $100 dollar shoes. Now this year 2013 on that
SALES weekend 60 million users (cookie based) are buying on the website….You
want to give a 25% extra reward to only those cookies that were from last
year…So u are looking for an intersection set of possibly 20,000 cookies in two
sets - 50million and 60 million…..How would u solve this problem within milli
seconds  ?

3. Last my favorite….The Postal Services department wants to think of new
business ideas to avoid bankruptcy…One idea I have is they have zillion small
delivery vans that go to each street in the country….Say I lease out the space
to BIG wireless phone providers and promise them them that I will mount
wireless signal strength measurement systems on these vans and I will provide
them data 3  times a day…how will u devise a solution to analyse and store data
?

I am sure if u look around in India as well u will see a lot of situations
where u want to solve a problem….

As Chris says , think about the problem u want to solve, then model the
solutions and pick the best one…

On the flip side….I can tell u it will still be a few years till many Banks and
Stock trading houses will believe in Cassandra and Hbase for OLTP because that
data is critical……If your timeline in Facebook does not show a photo , its
possibly OK but if your 1 million deposit I a bank does not show up for days or
suddenly vanishes - u r possibly not going to take that lightly…..

Ok enough RAMBLING….

Good luck

sanjay