I've installed CentOS on several different types of old (originally Windows
XP)  Dell desktops for the last 4 years (i.e. desktops as old as 7 years
ago) and so far installing CentOS was as easy as booting from the
installation CD/DVD and doing "next, next, finish".

The only thing that you may run into is that the specific cpu really
doesn't support 64bit.
You'll get an error very early in the installation process.

Niels