when you say application errors out .. does that mean your mapreduce job is
erroring? In that case apart from hdfs space you will need to look at
mapred tmp directory space as well.

you got 400GB * 4 * 10 = 16TB of disk and lets assume that you have a
replication factor of 3 so at max you will have datasize of 5TB with you.
I am also assuming you are not scheduling your program to run on entire 5TB
with just 10 nodes.

i suspect your clusters mapred tmp space is getting filled in while the job
is running.

--
Nitin Pawar