Hi All,

I am doing a test migration from Apache Hadoop-1.2.0 to Apache
Hadoop-2.0.6-alpha on a single node environment.

I did the following:

*         Installed Apache Hadoop-1.2.0

*         Ran word count sample MR jobs. The jobs executed successfully.

*         I stop all the services in Apache Hadoop-1.2.0 and then was able to
start all services again.

*         The previous submitted jobs are visible after the stop/start in the
job tracker url.

Next I installed Apache Hadoop-2.0.6-alpha alongside.
I used the SAME data directory locations that were in Apache Hadoop-1.2.0 in
the configuration files namely:
core-site.xml
----------------
$hadoop.tmp.dir
/home/cloud/hadoop_migration/hadoop-data/tempdir

hdfs-site.xml
-----------------
$dfs.data.dir
/home/cloud/hadoop_migration/hadoop-data/data
$dfs.name.dir
/home/cloud/hadoop_migration/hadoop-data/name

I am UNABLE to start the NameNode from Apache Hadoop-2.0.6-alpha installation I
am getting the error:

2013-12-03 18:28:23,941 INFO org.apache.hadoop.metrics2.impl.MetricsConfig:
loaded properties from hadoop-metrics2.properties
2013-12-03 18:28:24,080 INFO org.apache.hadoop.metrics2.impl.MetricsSystemImpl:
Scheduled snapshot period at 10 second(s).
2013-12-03 18:28:24,081 INFO org.apache.hadoop.metrics2.impl.MetricsSystemImpl:
NameNode metrics system started
2013-12-03 18:28:24,576 WARN
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem: Only one image storage
directory (dfs.namenode.name.dir) configured. Beware of dataloss due to lack of
redundant storage directories!
2013-12-03 18:28:24,576 WARN
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem: Only one namespace edits
storage directory (dfs.namenode.edits.dir) configured. Beware of dataloss due
to lack of redundant storage directories!
2013-12-03 18:28:24,744 INFO org.apache.hadoop.util.HostsFileReader: Refreshing
hosts (include/exclude) list
2013-12-03 18:28:24,749 INFO
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.blockmanagement.DatanodeManager:
dfs.block.invalidate.limit=1000
2013-12-03 18:28:24,762 INFO
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.blockmanagement.BlockManager:
dfs.block.access.token.enable=false
2013-12-03 18:28:24,762 INFO
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.blockmanagement.BlockManager: defaultReplication
       = 1
2013-12-03 18:28:24,762 INFO
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.blockmanagement.BlockManager: maxReplication
       = 512
2013-12-03 18:28:24,762 INFO
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.blockmanagement.BlockManager: minReplication
       = 1
2013-12-03 18:28:24,763 INFO
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.blockmanagement.BlockManager:
maxReplicationStreams      = 2
2013-12-03 18:28:24,763 INFO
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.blockmanagement.BlockManager:
shouldCheckForEnoughRacks  = false
2013-12-03 18:28:24,763 INFO
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.blockmanagement.BlockManager:
replicationRecheckInterval = 3000
2013-12-03 18:28:24,763 INFO
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.blockmanagement.BlockManager: encryptDataTransfer
       = false
2013-12-03 18:28:24,771 INFO
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem: fsOwner             =
cloud (auth:SIMPLE)
2013-12-03 18:28:24,771 INFO
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem: supergroup          =
supergroup
2013-12-03 18:28:24,771 INFO
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem: isPermissionEnabled = true
2013-12-03 18:28:24,771 INFO
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem: HA Enabled: false
2013-12-03 18:28:24,776 INFO
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem: Append Enabled: true
2013-12-03 18:28:25,230 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode:
Caching file names occuring more than 10 times
2013-12-03 18:28:25,243 INFO
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem:
dfs.namenode.safemode.threshold-pct = 0.9990000128746033
2013-12-03 18:28:25,244 INFO
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem:
dfs.namenode.safemode.min.datanodes = 0
2013-12-03 18:28:25,244 INFO
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem:
dfs.namenode.safemode.extension     = 30000
2013-12-03 18:28:25,288 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.common.Storage: Lock
on /home/cloud/hadoop_migration/hadoop-data/name/in_use.lock acquired by
nodename 21...@impetus-942.impetus.co.in
2013-12-03 18:28:25,462 INFO org.apache.hadoop.metrics2.impl.MetricsSystemImpl:
Stopping NameNode metrics system...
2013-12-03 18:28:25,462 INFO org.apache.hadoop.metrics2.impl.MetricsSystemImpl:
NameNode metrics system stopped.
2013-12-03 18:28:25,473 INFO org.apache.hadoop.metrics2.impl.MetricsSystemImpl:
NameNode metrics system shutdown complete.
2013-12-03 18:28:25,474 FATAL org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode:
Exception in namenode join
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.common.IncorrectVersionException: Unexpected
version of storage directory /home/cloud/hadoop_migration/hadoop-data/name.
Reported: -41. Expecting = -40.
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.common.Storage.setLayoutVersion(Storage.java:1079)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.common.Storage.setFieldsFromProperties(Storage.java:887)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NNStorage.setFieldsFromProperties(NNStorage.java:583)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.common.Storage.readProperties(Storage.java:918)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSImage.recoverStorageDirs(FSImage.java:304)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSImage.recoverTransitionRead(FSImage.java:200)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.loadFSImage(FSNamesystem.java:627)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.loadFromDisk(FSNamesystem.java:469)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.loadNamesystem(NameNode.java:403)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.initialize(NameNode.java:437)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.<init>(NameNode.java:609)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.<init>(NameNode.java:594)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.createNameNode(NameNode.java:1169)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.main(NameNode.java:1235)
2013-12-03 18:28:25,479 INFO org.apache.hadoop.util.ExitUtil: Exiting with
status 1
2013-12-03 18:28:25,481 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode:
SHUTDOWN_MSG:
/************************************************************
SHUTDOWN_MSG: Shutting down NameNode at Impetus-942.impetus.co.in/192.168.41.106

Independently both the installations(Apache Hadoop-1.2.0 and Apache
Hadoop-2.0.6-alpha) are working for me. I am able to run the MR jobs on both
the installations independently though.
But I aim to migrate the data and jobs submitted from Apache Hadoop-1.2.0 to
Apache Hadoop-2.0.6-alpha.

Is there any HDFS compatibility issues from Apache Hadoop-1.2.0 to Apache
Hadoop-2.0.6-alpha?

Thanks,
-Nirmal