Fengyun,

Is there any particular reason you have to have exactly 1 file per hour? As
you probably knew already, each reducer will output 1 file, or if you use
MultipleOutputs as I suggested, a set of files. If you have to fit the
number of reducers to the number hours you have from the input, and
generate the number of files accordingly, it will most likely be at the
expense of cluster efficiency and performance. A worst case scenario of
course is if you have a bunch of data all within the same hour, then you
have to settle with 1 reducer without any parallelization at all.

A workaround is to use MultipleOutputs to generate a set of files for each
hour, with the hour being a the base name. Or if you so choose, a
sub-directory for each hour. For example if you use mmddhh as the base
name, you will have a set of files for an hour like:

030119-r-00000
030119-r-0000n
030120-r-00000
030120-r-0000n

Or in a sub-directory:

030119/part-r-00000
030119/part-r-0000n

You can then use wild card to glob the output either for manual processing,
or as input path for subsequent jobs.

-Simon