I recommend against deleting or moving *-default.xml, because these files
may be supplying reasonable default values for configuration properties
that you haven't set in *-site.xml.  We also put defaults into the code
itself in case a configuration property is found to be completely missing,
but I'm not aware of any actual testing of deployments that have deleted
*-default.xml.

Chris Nauroth
Hortonworks
http://hortonworks.com/