I did a performance benchmark during my summer internship . I am currently
a grad student. Can't reveal much about the specific project but Spark is
still faster than around 4-5th iteration of Tez of the same query/dataset.
By Iteration I mean utilizing the "hot-container" property of Apache Tez  .
See latest release of Tez and some hortonworks tutorials on their website.

The only problem with Spark adoption is the steep learning curve of Scala ,
and understanding the API properly.

Thanks